Important updates - October 2017.
Please read our Attendance Policy found within the policies section for further details
If a pupil fails to attend school, as a school we must establish a reason behind the absence and update registers accordingly. If your child is absent from school for any reason, you must inform us as soon as possible regarding the absence. Please note, frequent absences will be addressed and we may invite you into school to discuss any issues. If we do not hear from you, we will mark the absence as unauthorised (please see monitoring of attendance for further information.) In the event of an absence please get in touch with school in the following ways:
* A first day phonecall/email to the school office
* A letter informing us of the period of absence
Rewarding good attendance
We know that good attendance and punctuality plays a vital role in helping pupils to succeed during their time at school. Here at Monkton Junior School we believe that good attendance, being an important school achievement, shoud be rewarded. We aim to do this in the following ways:
* Awarding the class with the best weekly attendance with a certificate and prize in assembly. The race is on - which class will be 'top attenders' in the academic year 2017-2018?
* Awarding a certificate to those pupils with 100% attendance across a half term
* Rewarding those pupils with excellent attendance (98% and above) over the academic year 2017-2018 with a prize
* Rewarding thse pupils with outstanding attendance (100%) over the academic year 2017-2018 with a special headteacher's prize
Monitoring of attendance
We have a responsibility to promote high standards in attendance and punctuality, addressing any issues as they arise. This academic year we will work closely with South Tyneside's Attendance and Monitoring Team and carry out fornightly checks on attendance across school. In those cases where attendance falls below 90% of possible sessions, we will inform you in writing. If this appears a persistent problem, we may invite you into school to discuss this. We will also monitor unauthorised absences carefully, again informing you of any concerns and possible next steps.
We appreciate that there may be occasions whereby attendance may be affected by persistent ill-health or other difficult circumstances. If you have any concerns or queries regarding school attendance, please make an appointment to speak to Miss Heathfield.
We do not encouarage holidays during term time. Should you wish to request a holiday you will need to put forward an application to the headteacher who will consider the circumstances of this, informing you in writing of the outcome. Please note that procedures linked to penalty notices are currently being reviewed in association with the Attendance and Monitoring Team. We will inform you in due course of any changes.